Thankful


Yesterday was a good day, diabetes-wise.

Early in the day I had a conversation I'd been dreading. I needed to speak with someone from the school about diabetes accommodations specific to a high school event. It turned out to be a great conversation in which I was encouraged to clearly express my questions and worries. I was able to explain the aspects of living with diabetes which led to my concerns. The reaction I got was both compassionate and practical. I expect that, as a team, the school and our family will find just the right solution to our dilemma.

Late in the afternoon we had our quarterly endocrinologist appointment. I've mentioned before how thankful I am for our doctor and our clinic. I was, once again, grateful for wise, fresh eyes on the high blood sugar trends we're working on. We received advice delivered conversationally and with humor. And, while it partly reflected some early-fall lows, we left the clinic proud of my daughter's lowest A1C ever. I know... it's not supposed to be a 'report card. But after the amount of work we've put in to keep her blood sugar from spiraling out of control during this first fall of high school and marching band?  It felt like something worth celebrating.

This day I've described came on the tail of a local JDRF Summit I attended on Saturday. There I encountered people who don't have what we have. They have schools which won't budge on legally required accommodations like testing blood sugar in the classroom. They have doctors who don't take the time to work with them to improve their health or who, even worse, judge and criticize them. They had come to this event because they felt alone and unsupported in their diabetes worlds.

Which brings us back to the November theme of awareness...

I am aware that many families do not find a compassionate voice when they call their children's schools. I am aware that many families are fighting tooth and nail for basic, legally required accommodations. I am aware that many families don't have the time, language skills or knowledge to even ask for their children with diabetes' rights to be honored.

I am aware that there are people with diabetes in this world and country who have no means to get medical care at all. I am aware that much of what passes for diabetes care in this country is far inferior to what is offered at the specialized center we travel to.

I fell asleep last night feeling content that all was right in our little diabetes world. I woke this morning aware that there is work to be done so that more, if not all, families who live with diabetes have a shot at being as well supported as we are.

1 comment:

  1. As a former school administrator I worked hard to ensure accommodation were fairly and to the best of my ability accurately completed. I am sorry others do not do that.

    This item has been referred to the TUDiabetes Blog page for the week of November 21, 2016

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!