A Mystery Story


The phone rang.

'School' read out on the caller ID.

When I answered, I could immediately hear the fuzzy echo of speakerphone.

My daughter's voice: "I don't know what my blood sugar is."

She has 2 meters at school, one with her and one in the nurse's office.  There are 3 other kids with diabetes and the nurse has a back-up.  There's no way this information wasn't available.  "What do you mean?"

"I checked with the one in my bag in the classroom and I was 195 but I felt really high so I came down here anyway.  I washed my hands and the one in the nurse's office says I'm 348.  I checked again with the one in my bag and it said I was 297.  Then we tried the nurse's spare one and it said I was 140."

The nurse chimed in throughout the story and concluded with, "We really aren't sure what to do next."

There I was, on the other end of the phone, expected to solve this problem.

Ultimately we decided that I would come to school with her meter from home, the one we use all day every day. She was instructed to drink some water and went back to class for the time it took me to get there.

I remembered on the way out the door that I had a bottle of control solution. I threw it in my pocket with the trusted meter.

Our meters at school checked out with control solution. The nurse's was a different brand so we couldn't test that one.

My daughter was called down from the classroom.  She checked on 4 meters.

Home:  290

Personal Nurse's Office:  260

Purse:  266

Nurse's spare:  254

We corrected using 260 as a safe average and sent her back to class.  I left her home meter with her for the day with newly opened test strips.

Meanwhile, Strip Safely anybody?  We need to keep encouraging the FDA to tighten standards.  I can't figure how this was caused by anything but technology failure.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!