We The Undersigned...

Diabetes Blog Week


Recently various petitions have been circulating the Diabetes Online Community, so today let’s pretend to write our own. Tell us who you would write the petition to – a person, an organization, even an object (animate or inanimate) - get creative!! What are you trying to change and what have you experienced that makes you want this change?

We, the undersigned, petition medical professionals to tell us the truth about the level of discomfort we can anticipate when undergoing tests and procedures.

We particularly request the elimination of the following two phrases:

1. 'You'll just feel a little pinch.' 

2. 'This might be a little uncomfortable.' 

Even a savvy three year old can tell you 'just a little pinch' means 'I'm about to stab you with something long and sharp.'  Please give up the phrase.  Nobody believes you.

'This might be a little uncomfortable' is used inaccurately by medical professionals in multiple settings.  Examples of the use of this vast understatement include but are not limited to:

An orthopedist resetting a broken arm.

An orthodontist taking impressions for braces.

A pediatrician taking a sample from the back of the throat for a strep test.

An eye doctor putting in drops for dilation.

We, the undersigned, demand less deception and more respect for our intelligence and common sense.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree… I try to be honest with my kids about this stuff. I feel a strong need for them to TRUST me, and telling them it's going to HURT is part of the deal. FWIW, I am slow getting about it, but I chose this post for my "Share the Love" Diabetes Blog Post day 7. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!