Today's diabetes blog week post asks me to invent my 'fantasy diabetes device.' The 'magic cure machine,' would be great, but I'm a realist at heart. Here's one I think my daughter will see in the not too distant future, with some details we'd find particularly helpful:
One site! One device! All your diabetes care needs rolled into one!
All the tools you need to manage your Type 1 Diabetes consolidated into one easy-to-use system.
- One site providing insulin infusion and a continuous glucose monitoring sensor
- A pocket-sized handheld touchscreen device which provides
- Blood sugar meter
- Insulin Delivery Remote
- Multi-featured log-book
- use touchscreen to write your own comments ('stupid donut')
- wireless link for download
- pesonalized charting, graphing, averaging
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring with multiple high and low bg alarm options
- Carbohydrate counting guide with personalization ('Steve's pizza: 1 slice=40g.')
- Flashlight feature
- Programmable reminders for bg checks, boluses and site changes
- Insert notes anywhere. For example:
- reminders of treatment parameters with each bg check for children and caregivers
- notes to children regarding party or playdate foods in absence of parent
- make a note when carbs for a new food are guessed
- note when the pump has been unplugged for swimming or sports
- Optional cellular and wireless internet service, making it your only device
- All designed, manufactured and shipped by the same medical device company right to your door, right when you need it.
When I described the device to my daughter (who added the touch-screen feature and expanded the notes one), she thought the 'all-in-one-inator' would be a good name for it. That's what Dr. Doofenshmirtz from Phineas and Ferb would call it. He'd be hard pressed to find a way to use this invention for evil, though.