Early Reviews Are In

You may recall that we had a surprise when we opened our packet of information from the middle school.  We learned that although we had met and liked the nurse in June, she had moved on. We would soon become acquainted with Mrs. Not-the-one-you-met-in-June

We stopped by a few days before school started.  My daughter proudly navigated our journey to the nurse's office where we met the new nurse.  We reviewed my daughter's medical plan and her schedule.  My daughter showed  how she checked her blood sugar and programmed her pump.  I provided an index card with every bit of contact information for myself and my husband and encouraged its use for any question, no matter how small.  We left feeling comfortable.

Due to her nervous stomach as school has begun, my daughter has gotten to spend even more time than usual in the nurse's office.  Throwing up in someone's wastebasket is a quick way to develop a unique and lasting bond.  Whatever the reasons to get to know eachother, my daughter and the nurse are getting along.  Things are going smoothly, diabetes-wise.

"All my stuff is where I can reach it, so I just go right in and check and show her what I am and how much I'm giving."  The perfect balance of support and independence.

My daughter may pick up the phone and call me if she's uncertain about something.  The nurse will do the same, asking good questions. 

Most importantly, though, "she's nice."  The minutes spent there waiting for juice to kick in, or for her stomach to settle down, have been pleasant and calming. 

We're fortunate to be at a point in our diabetes journey where my daughter is fairly independent in the basic tasks of her care.  She doesn't need a CDE or other accredited diabetes expert to manage her care at school.  It's important that there is someone who can handle her diabetes if she becomes unable to do so herself due to a low blood sugar.  She needs someone available who can intelligently walk her through any unusual diabetes circumstances.

On a regular day, though, she simply needs someone she's comfortable visiting 2-4 times a day and who can tell her a good story while she waits for her blood sugar to rise.

So far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. "Throwing up in someone's wastebasket is a quick way to develop a unique and lasting bond." I love your nice nurse. Hooray for nice nurses!

    Sorry so many comments. I'm catching up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!