Oops

On my way out of Walgreen's I checked the time.  If the nurse was going to call me about a snack-time blood sugar problem it would be soon.  I should be sure to have my phone handy.  And in that instant, I realized the horrible truth.

I forgot to bolus breakfast.

Approximately 40 grams of carbohydrate had been consumed on top of a blood sugar of 160, and no insulin had been given.  I was about to proactively call the school when my phone chimed.  A new voice mail.  Apparently I had no reception inside the store.

"Mrs. Osborne...please give me a call.  Your daughter's blood sugar is...very high."

By the time I called back, the nurse had spoken with my husband.  My daughter had figured out the cause of the problem, and a correction had been given.

However, I now had company throughout my Christmas shopping day.  At the bookstore, I received an update.  "She's still 360."

At the grocery store, I received the news, "She's down to 270."

At the dollar store, I learned she'd dropped below 240.

It was an awkward situation.  An unfortunate mistake turned into a situation a concerned medical professional legitimately took as a serious health concern. 

I certainly felt badly for having let her get to school (and through 2 hours of it) without fixing this problem.  On the other hand, this is real life.  Stuff like this happens.  Most of the time it doesn't, but faced with a week such as the one leading up to Christmas, it becomes difficult to juggle the details.  Unfortunately for my child, and for the peace of mind of our school nurse, my brain dropped this detail instead of forgetting the scotch tape at Walgreen's.

1 comment:

  1. What's strange is that I don't have good cell phone reception in Walgreens either!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!