The Diabetes Card


I hate playing the 'diabetes card.'  Saying, 'but she has diabetes,' goes against my whole, 'diabetes can't stop you from doing anything' mantra. Also, invoking diabetes has the secondary problem of necessitating a longer, more complicated conversation than I ever want to have. We are often able to problem-solve diabetes stumbling blocks so that my daughter can participate fully in things without making a big deal about them. But sometimes that becomes impossible.

Before the weekend performances of the school musical I received an e-mail stating that all cell phones would be collected when the kids arrived at school an hour before curtain.  They would be kept 'in a safe place,' and made available 'in case of emergency.'  This was happening at dress rehearsals as well.  Sometimes my daughter turned hers in. Sometimes, like on days of crazy diabetes issues, she claimed she didn't have it but really kept it with her. The collection was kept in clear ziploc bags on an accessible table, so she knew she could reclaim hers and use it in an emergency, answering questions afterwards if needed. 

For the show, however, I had to say something.  We have a system of her texting me her numbers a few minutes before curtain time and at intermission.  We try even harder than usual on show days to intercept any problems early on, and to keep things on an even keel.  A fuzzy brained high could lead to forgotten lines.  A low on stage has all kinds of potential ramifications.  So we've got a system of checks and balances in place.

I contacted the director and plead my case through a (probably) over-explanatory e-mail. Not only did she need to keep her phone, I explained, she had to use it at least twice backstage.  I hoped that would not be a problem. The director's response?

"Of course she can keep it!"

Which is what I assumed the response would be from anyone with an ounce of decency and common sense.

But I still didn't like having to ask.  Playing the 'diabetes card' invariably puts a qualifier on 'diabetes can't stop you.'  It says that she needs some sort of special treatment to keep her safe.  Which is sometimes hard to ask for or to admit.  But sometimes it makes sense.


1 comment:

  1. <3

    I am so glad the director was a person with decency and common s. YAY!

    How was the big show?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!