Should I Be More Worried?


It's the first day of school in our neck of the woods.  And I'm not terribly worried about it.

My daughter is off to the same school.  She'll have the same nurse.  While her academic teachers will be new to her, the rest of the staff and administration is familiar with her.

Don't get me wrong. The baseline anxiety is a constant.  Anything can happen during the 7+ hours my child is out of my sight.  A low blood sugar could go unnoticed and untreated for too long.  A pump site could fail.  A student or teacher could give her a hard time about needing to detour to the nurse's office.

There's also the added first day of school anxiety.  How will the nurse's office visits fit into the new schedule?  Will she have lunch with the same understanding group of friends who always save her a seat?  Will she be so distracted by the newness of her classes and teachers that a diabetes issue will go unrecognized?  Will her teachers understand her needs and be supportive if necessary?

Last year's school start involved a new school and a boatload of anxiety for both of us.  I have to believe this year's challenges, should there be some, will pale in comparison. 

I have my phone at hand, well prepared for 'school' to pop up on the caller i.d.

I am planning a special first day of school dinner complete with a bolus-worthy dessert intended to smooth out any wrinkles of the day.

Yet I'm not that worried.  If I'm proven wrong, I guess I'll deal with it then.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!