I Almost Asked



My daughter's Dexcom G4 sometimes chooses to stop 'sharing' these days, making its receiver the only source of information. When this happens, as it did this week, I try to take a quick peek at the receiver once in a while, just in case we need to talk about tweaks in the basals, carb ratios, correction factors and such.



I looked at the receiver this morning - it was on the table after breakfast - and yesterday morning showed a spike, reaching the top of the graph, and hanging there for an hour or so before coming back down to a reasonable range by noonish.

My initial instinct was to ask something along the lines of, 'What the heck happened yesterday???"

Then I realized three things:

1. I already knew what happened  yesterday. Her grade had a delayed opening because of standardized testing at the high school. She had been out to breakfast with friends and she ate eggs and toast and potatoes- which was a better choice than pancakes - but she clearly either under-guessed on the potatoes or forgot to bolus until too late.

2. The evidence showed that she'd picked up on her mistake, corrected her blood sugar, and gotten herself back in range by lunch. She had solved the problem by herself.

3. Nit-picking is counterproductive. She'd just get defensive if I brought it up, no matter how much I tried to turn the conversation towards 'all's well that ends well.'

So I didn't ask. 

1 comment:

  1. Actually it looks like she did what any adult would have done. Nit pick is not necessary because she did the absolute right thing. Bravo for a cool mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!