Growing Things


Diabetes Blog Week



Lets wrap up the week by sharing a little more about ourselves, beyond the chronic illness we or our loved ones live with.  Share an interest, hobby, passion, something that is YOU.  If you want to explore how it relates to or helps with diabetes you can.   Or let it be a part of you that is completely separate from diabetes, because there is more to life than just diabetes!  (This topic is a suggestion from the 2016 #DBlogWeek survey.)  For more 'more than diabetes stories,' click here!

 
I like to collect plants.
 
Not fancy plants, and definitely not fussy plants which need any real attention.
 
I like plants with a little history, plants which remind me of people or places that are special to me.
 
Here are a few things which happen to be growing or blooming in my yard today:



The first rosebud of the year.
The bush was in full bloom in the front garden of the house when we moved in.
I love that we see the roses through the living room window.


Lily of the Valley transplanted from my childhood home's garden




The mint in the back is from plants which grew at the farm where my grandmother grew up,
divided and transplanted in several locations since then.

The rosemary in the foreground is a plant which lived over from last year- not as much a history story as a gardening win!



We went to a local public garden's plant sale the first year we lived in our house.
I purchased a small bleeding heart plant, divided from one on the garden's grounds.
It's now threatening to take over the corner of my yard.


These Japanese iris, also in the front garden, came from my husband's
childhood home.



2 comments:

  1. I love the stories your flowers tell! How cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Iris's they remind me of where I grew up. Not t the Japanese ones but the yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!