What's That?


Little kid (pointing at Dexcom receiver on my daughter's belly): What's that?

My Kid: I wear it to keep me healthy!

(Little kid swims away/ continues eating popsicle/ asks about something completely different)

This conversation has repeated itself several times this summer at our town pool.  These are usually kids who know my daughter's friends (neighbors, kids from camps they've volunteered at, relatives). These kids enjoy the opportunity to hang out with the 'big kids' for a while in the water or on the volleyball court. My daughter chose her stock answer at the beginning of the summer and so far it's worked every time.

These conversations are in significant contrast to those she's had this summer with new peer and adult acquaintances.  These people want (or the case of the band director, for example, need) more complete answers to what the devices she wears and uses are, and how they work.

Through middle school, her social circle remained fairly static.  As she starts to spend more time with the band kids, and with the people her middle school friends are collecting as they start new activities and endeavors, the explaining has begun again and the conversations have become longer.  Recently examples include, 'why do you still have to poke your finger if you wear the dexcom?' and my daughter's personal favorite, 'what's your blood sugar usually?'  These are a little harder to answer but they're thoughtful questions. 

I'm glad her friends are interested in and concerned about her diabetes.  High school means she'll be spending lots more time with her friends.  The more they know, the better.

Though the conversation is certainly simpler with a 4 year old.


1 comment:

  1. I think when innocent kids ask questions it is a win for us all.

    I referred your blog to the TUDiabetes.org blog page for the week of August 8, 2016.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!