Why We're Not In The Cloud


Making mistakes and learning from them is, in my opinion, part of being 12.

When my daughter says, "I don't need to study for the quiz. We reviewed in class and I've got it," I say o.k. When she puts off a chore until the last minute, I don't nudge.  When she's upset by the results of these decisions, we talk about what happened and she learns from her mistakes.

When she came home the other day with a blood sugar of 282, we had this conversation:

"Didn't Dexi alarm?"

"Yeah, but I was only 200 and I was in art and my hands were all gross."

"O.k., but now it's over an hour later.  What could you have done differently?"

"Checked after I cleaned up."

"Yeah...you'd probably be lower by now if you'd corrected, right?"

"Yeah. I'll check sooner next time."

In this scenario, she made some decisions.  They weren't great ones.  But we talked about it, calmly, and I'll hope that the next decisions she makes in these circumstances are better.  Had I been watching that CGM graph on my mobile device in the hour before she got home*, I'm not sure I would have handled the conversation as calmly. I may not have seen the opportunity to let her take a lead in problem-solving for next time.  I would have spent that hour getting increasingly irritated that her blood sugar wasn't coming down, and probably would have texted her to test and correct as soon as she turned her phone back on after school.

In the scenario we've chosen, the numbers are hers to deal with in the moment they occur.  Then, help is available if she needs it.

She knows she can text or call me whenever she needs my help. The nurse is there all day at school, and my daughter doesn't hesitate to stop in her office.  The Dexcom receiver reaches our bedside tables so she can have the night off from responsibility.  But when she's at school or out with friends, it feels like it's time to let her flutter around outside the nest a bit. We watch carefully from a short distance ready to come to her rescue whenever needed. Once she's home we talk about any glitches that occurred and about what she could do differently next time. For her, this seems like a great way to learn all she'll need to know when those safety nets aren't around anymore.

If I had a kid who regularly ignored highs and lows I'd think differently.  If her Dexcom receiver didn't give us readings when she was in bed, I'd think differently.  If she was littler, I might even think differently. If at any time I feel she creeps over the line of 'learn by doing' to a place where her safety is compromised, I'll not hesitate to reconsider all of the technology available to us. Everybody's experience with diabetes is different and we all need to do what works for us at any given time.

For now, though, this is what works for us.

*If you're unfamiliar, an explanation of 2 CGM in the cloud technology options are here and here.  Essentially it enables the data from a continuous glucose monitor to be sent to a designated smartphone so that there is another set of eyes on the information.

1 comment:

  1. Pam,
    I completely agree with your reasons for not joining the cloud and it's for those same reasons that we have stayed out as well. It would be easier to micromanage every blood sugar of every second but I don't think M would learn anything from that. We don't have a school nurse at all and she has to manage everything during her school day but she can text if she needs too. She has certainly made mistakes (forgetting to push go on the pump to bolus!) but she realizes what she's done when a: her dexcom says she's double upping and b: she has that unending thirst/fog. I don't think she would so quick to correct mistakes or even take responsibility for them if I was monitoring 24/7.
    If circumstances were different I might not feel the same but for now......

    Sorry for the ramble! It's just nice to read a well written out version of my thoughts :-)

    Brandy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!