Afraid

Most of my daughter's friends have pierced ears.  Many of them had them pierced when they were infants or very little girls.  A few others have commemorated recent  birthdays with a trip to the mall for this rite of passage.

I'm not sure getting ears pierced in early elementary school is the best plan.  A child needs to be reponsible enough to care for those new holes so they heal properly. Yet at ten, I'd be willing to let her get her ears pierced.  She's always liked jewlery, and has even begun to wear some small clip-on earings.

The idea comes up once in a while, but she wants no part of it.

"Doesn't it hurt, Mommy?"

"Well, yeah, but not for long."

"It seems scary.  I don't want to do it."

Here's a child who pierces her finger ten times a day to check her blood sugar.  Every couple of days, she has a new infusion set inserted under her skin with a spring-loaded needle contraption. She's the last person in the world who should be afraid of ear piercing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not going to drag her to the mall kicking and screaming to get her ears pierced. She's the one who will choose when to get this done.  But I do try to gently point out the irony of her postion.

"It's not the same, Mommy."

I guess not, but it seems to me it would be more fun to get holes punched in you to be able to wear cute earings than to be able to wear an infusion set.  Am I missing something?

1 comment:

  1. My daughter is the SAME way!

    She also is completely dramatic when she goes with me for my allergy shot. It's really not a big syringe. And she always says so loudly for everyone to hear, "I could never get allergy shots. I'm glad it's not me!"

    I keep my mouth shut, but every time I want to tell everyone within ear shot that she pricks her finger 8-12 times a day and gets a new pumps site every three days, plus CGM sensors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!