The Other Good Thing About Paula

The Paula Deen media frenzy has had its horrific moments this week.  Particularly, I imagine, if you're Ms. Deen.  Or if you're an average American living with Type 2 Diabetes.  The "why doesn't she just make a big salad, go for a run, and cure herself already" rhetoric is simplistic and is increasingly hard to listen to. 

On the other hand, there have been some media plusses this week.

The Today show segment was extremely clear.  Al Roker said "Type Two" before every mention of diabetes.  They doctor they had on explained clearly and succinctly all of the potential causes of "Type Two" diabetes.  The subsequent AP article was also very careful about the Type 2 designation.  Several news radio conversations I've heard have included interviews with diabetes professionals in which Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes were differentiated.  In my media consumption, I did not run across any instance where "Type 2" did not qualify Ms. Deen's diagnosis.

This is a huge step in the right direction. The diabetes community has been fighting for years for consistent differentiation of these two diseases.  Awareness, advocacy, and funding are helped for both diseases when there is clarity about what they are and how they are different.  Selfishly, I also know that a clear differentiation means those Type 2 stereotypes are less likely to be thrown at or to stick to my daughter and others with Type 1.

Two posts and a batch of buttermilk biscuits later, I promise I'm finished with Paula Deen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I review all comments before they are posted, so please be patient!